You and your family are planning a vacation getaway, but mom and dad just aren’t up for traveling. They live with you. What can you do? We share the benefit of respite services for seniors and families. Many caregivers don’t want to have a stranger come into the house to look after aging loved ones while they are out of town, and they don’t want you to cancel a trip. What can you do?
There are options available and American House MI offers respite services designed to provide a place to stay where your mom or dad will be safe and cared for. Not only that, but your aging loved ones will also be around people of their age, have access to activities, meals together and more. They will have a chance to connect with others and you will have the opportunity to go away without suffering “caregiver’s guilt.”
What is respite?
Respite services provide short-term relief for caregivers and short-term stays for loved ones. Respite services can be for an afternoon or for day or even weeks.
Benefit Of Respite Services For Seniors And Families
At American House Senior Living Communities, we know that as summer grows closer and travel restrictions are being eased, you may want to travel, but worry about who will look after your loved one. We have professionals who will welcome your loved one while you travel, for a day, a weekend or longer. American House Senior Living Communities offer fully-furnished apartments, delicious meals, a full and engaging social program. There are personal care services available upon request provided by a third party.
What types of respite services are there?
One of the best things about respite is its versatility. It can provide regularly scheduled breaks, or it can be available in case of an emergency. Respite services can be adapted to fit your particular needs.
Here are the three main types of respite services:
- Home care where you hire someone to come into your home to look after your loved one.
- Facility based like what is offered at American Home Senior Living Communities with all its amenities.
- Community based respite that includes respite offered at adult day cares, community groups or religious organizations.
What are some considerations for respite for your aging loved one? Here are a few:
- How long is the service needed.
- Whether you want someone to come into your home.
- Are additional services such as medical or housekeeping required?
- Does your loved one have mobility challenges?
- How much can you afford to pay?
- Whether your loved one is seeking social interaction and likes to be involved in unique activities.
What are some benefits of respite services for the caregiver?
- You need to take time for self-care.
- You need to relax and renew yourself.
- Sometimes you simply need space and a bit of distance from your loved one. You love one another, but a little alone time isn’t a bad thing.
- You need to remember who you are when you’re not a caregiver.
- Social interaction. The caregiver needs social interaction as much as their aging loved one does. Use respite services to take an afternoon, a day or a weekend off and spend time with friends.
What are some benefits for the older adult in your life to enjoy respite?
- They get to make new friends and see new people. It can be isolating for your loved one if they don’t leave the house often and don’t have the luxury of interacting with and making friends with other seniors.
- It will be a change of pace and a change of scenery. Your loved one might just welcome a place of his or her own. Staying in respite at an American House Senior Living Community offers time for interaction, meals with other older adults and the chance to form friendships.
- If you’ve had a discussion with your loved one about what will happen when you are no longer able to care for them, spending time in one of our respite apartments gives them the chance to see what our communities are like.
Contact an American House community near you and take a tour.
American House was founded in 1979 to enrich the lives of seniors and their loved ones in an environment that fosters independence, compassion, quality services and meaningful relationships. We provide a wide range of senior living options, including independent living, independent living with assistance, memory care services provided by a third party, respite stays and hospice in Dearborn Heights, Farmington Hills, Rochester Hills, Sterling Heights and Westland.